Sunday, August 28, 2011

On This Day in 2010 - August 28th


On this day in 2010, I posted this FB status update announcing that I had finally lost 100 pounds. Today, my status update should read, "Who shrunk my underwear?"

I have been hiding from the scale this summer. As a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers, we must weigh in once a month and maintain our weight within two pounds of our goal weight or we have to pay. And so the avoidance of the scale began.

There were five Saturdays in July. There were five opportunities for me to get back to my goal weight so that I could face the scale. There were five Saturday meetings that came and went. I never weighed in and the guilt set in. I felt that I had to be perfect before I could go back.

August was the same way. I had full conversations with myself about eating and exercise and yet, I chose to ignore it. My focus had shifted and I needed to get back on track. I'd lost control.

And so, yesterday, I did it. I walked back in the door and straight up to the scale. I placed my Weight Record on the counter and my credit card on top. I whispered that I am Lifetime, but that I am over my goal weight. She looked at my card, and said, "You haven't weighed in since June!"

I've gained ten pounds since that weigh in and I am 18.6 pounds over my original goal. I want to be accountable for my actions. I've had a great time this summer hanging out with friends. Now it is time to get back to eating right and exercising.

And so on this day in 2011, I ask, "Who shrunk my underwear?" Although, I do not do the laundry in my family, it was me who shrunk my underwear. The accountability starts with me.

1 comment:

  1. On this day in 2011, I am super proud of my friend. For going after this goal in the first place. And for admitting that you've been "hiding" this summer. Let's still have fun with friends and hang out; but do it while we walk. Or we can have a banana instead of cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete