Friday, October 21, 2011

My Fitness Pal

It's Friday night. Phew! What a week. It is also the night before weigh in.

Tomorrow morning, I face the scale again. I feel pretty good about what I've accomplished this week. It helps when you tell others what you are doing. I am blessed to be surrounded by friends and family that will wink and nod at me, as if to say, "I've got your back."

One of those family members suggested that I try out MyFitnessPal, which is a diet and fitness community built with one purpose in mind: providing you with the tools and support you need to achieve your weight loss goals. Sounds just like Weight Watchers, right? Right. Don't get me wrong, I am still a die hard Weight Watcher, but what I like about MyFitnessPal is that it is focused on calories in/calories out. MyFitnessPal saves me the trouble of carrying around a notepad and pen to track my calories and has a great database of foods. There's no math to do - it adds everything up for me and keeps track of how many calories I have left right on my phone! I am encouraged to eat less and motivated again to lose weight by simply tracking.

Getting back to the basics.   How you keep track isn't what matters rather that you are keeping track. No more mindless eating while standing at the pantry.

Overall, it has been a good week. Ended it tonight with a little dinner out with my youngest son, Patrick. We shared some pizza and then went to Dairy Queen for dessert. I quickly entered Dairy Queen Fudge Bar into the MyFitnessPal app and it popped up that it is only 45 calories! Okay, so I entered other items on that menu in first only to realize that I didn't have enough calories in my entire day's total to indulge.

All too often, people tackle weight loss by giving up everything at once, hoping to lose a huge amount quickly. That doesn't work for long term weight loss. What I've learned is the greatest success comes from the little steps taken in this journey. Giving up a little at a time will keep me from giving up altogether.

I'm back. I'm ready. It's on! (wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment