Monday, May 24, 2010

New Reflection in the Mirror

Just had a moment to sit down to read the latest issue of People magazine. Jennifer Hudson, the celebrity spokesperson for Weight Watchers, is on the cover. Something she said caught my eye about doubting that she can really fit into her new size 6 wardrobe. "In my head, I am still the same weight I was before," Jennifer says. "It takes a while to get used to it."

I recalled a few months ago, when I had gone on a shopping trip to the mall with my husband. We had split up to look at different stores and I wandered into CJ Banks, a 14+ store for women. I was browsing when the sales clerk approached me. She asked if she could help me with something and I responded that I was just looking around. "For a gift?" she asked. "Oh no, for me." I responded. Then she said it! "I believe that you might be in the wrong store. You will find your sizes in our other store, Christopher Banks. They will have what you are looking for." I smiled and floated down the mall looking for my husband. A true Pretty Woman moment.

I'm getting better at realizing my new size, but there are times when the old image of myself comes creeping back. This past Saturday, Hollie and I ran into Target so that I could grab a hoodie before going to Cedar Point. I hadn't realized how cold it was and didn't want to freeze. There were only two sizes (looking only at the hanger)...Large and XL. I grabbed a large and tried it on. Perfect! When I hung it back on the hanger, the inside tag grabbed my attention. It was a medium and it had fit. I'm always amazed that I have the larger image of myself. Like Jennifer Hudson, I will adapt to my new reflection in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment