Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Tortoise and the Hare


The last three days, I have been running on the trails by my house. I like to run on the trails because nobody can see me (or so I think). There is a certain spot on the trail that I've come to find a little bunny rabbit along the edge of the path. And as I run by, the bunny rabbit runs with me. What really makes me chuckle is the rabbit will run ahead and then dart off into the trees toward the end of the trail. It reminded me of Aesop's Fable:


The Hare was boasting about his speed before the other animals. "I have never been beaten," said he, "when I put forth my full speed. I challenge anyone here to race me."


The Tortoise said quietly, "I accept your challenge."


"That is a good joke," said the Hare; "I could dance round you all the way."


"Keep your boasting until you've beaten," answered the Tortoise. "Shall we race?"


So a course was fixed and a start was made. The Hare darted almost out of sight at once, but soon stopped and to show his contempt for the Tortoise, lay down to have a nap. The Tortoise plodded on and on, and when the Hare awoke from his nap, he saw the Tortoise just near the winning post and could not run up in time to save the race.


Moral of the story: Slow and steady wins the race.


Today, I weighed in and lost 2.4 pounds. I am now 4.6 pounds away from my overall weight loss goal of 100 pounds. I was frustrated the last few weeks because I gained 3 pounds after vacation and my class reunion. I don't think that I've hit a plateau at this point. I've just been trying to run toward that finish line a little too fast. The bunny rabbit has reminded me that the process is slow, but if I keep on a steady pace (as well as keep running with the bunny)...I will win the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment